Thursday, January 31, 2008

Connecticut..Ridgefield..."Country Diner"

I was in connecticut for a week and had to find a place for breakfast. The Country Diner is not a diner nor is it really in the country. Its in a strip mall next to the Rugged Bear childrens clothing store. The address is 199 Ethan Allen Highway in Ridgefield (on Rt. 7) . Plastic flowers are the designer decor and New England coffee is served. The owner, is as most small joints, Greek and he and his wife and son run the place. The first a.m. I had a western omelet, the second day, oatmeal, the 3rd and 4th day, eggs over easy and bacon. The 5th day, I went elsewhere and came back the next day (the 5th day is not worth reporting)and repeated breakfast as before. All my breakfasts were well prepared, timely and plentiful. The potatoes were home made ( a very important criteria) and the price was reasonable.The coffee was hot and it did not require me to ask for a second cup.

1 comment:

writime1 said...

I had the dubious experience of going to a place that was highly, and I say HIGHLY recommended to me as having the best burger in the world! OK, so I drove 45 minutes on a lazy day just to see for myself. By the time I found it, I was hungry! I parked next to a couple of Harleys and went inside the gas station, to the back of the convenience store (following my nose). There was a counter with 5 stools, and two women cooking burgers, never bothering to look up, except to glance in the mirror above them as to who was at the counter. I think the counter may get wiped down once a day, but the floor, never. The grease accumulated on the hood over the grill was caked with soot. But the burgers consist of a half- pound of meat, cooked medium, served on a boring white bread bun. No frills, no ambience, just the bizarre experience of wondering if the meat got cooked enough to kill any germs, and wondering why there were regulars standing, waiting to get theirs. I asked if I could get fries, and the woman with no teeth turned to tell me that "nope, they ain't good fur ya". Just in case you want to see if I'm telling the truth, the place is the Sunshine Garage (though I can't imagine where the name came from as there was no sunshine) in Maryland at Georgia Avenue and New Hampshire (northern suburb of Washington, DC. Good thing about it was the price. Cheap!!! But then, they don't need to pay for atmosphere. Plan to take a Tums.